
Last week Wednesday my good friend Sandi called to invite us to go blackberry picking at their ranch. I was so excited! I had visions of stocking my freezer with berries for smoothies, canning berry syrup for pancakes and ice cream, and of course cobbler. I stopped by the market on my way out to buy sandwich size zip locks to stash my bounty. The box contained 50 bags, would that be enough? I thought 2 boxes would be better. I had 100 bags, of which I filled, are you ready for this?.......................Seven! Yep, I came home with 7 bags of berries! I'm sure the kids ate another 7 while we were there. Berry picking is not for light hearted; it is hot, thorny work. I will never complain about the price of berries at the store again! We had a lot of fun though and Sandi and I were able to chat somewhat uninterrupted through out most of our excursion.



After all that labor, I decided that a stop for ice cream was well deserved. You can see clearly here the fruit of Maia's labor all over her face...

We did have cobbler that night, using this recipe. We shared one smoothie, and on Sunday morning I made this wonderful coffee cake.

The kids have had some on top of yogurt and I spread some on toast with cream cheese, Yum!
We have about 1 cup left, maybe we'll make muffins today.

5 comments:
Berry picking reminds me of all the good times your Mom and I had eating all we wanted from the bushes in our back yard! Your coffee cake looked yummy,
Should we plant berries or not? We've got a spot for them, but thorns don't sound fun!
Yum! I love picking berries - thorns and all! I only got one cobbler out of our berries because the kids ate them to fast!
Melissa - Yes plant berries!
Yep - Auntie and I have a pic of us standing infront of our berry bush - it is black and white so I am sure you can't see berry juice on our faces! The kids looked like they had loads of fun! Melissa - plant a bush. Dad can pick them. He brings me home hand picked-by him-berries from a place where he delivers. YUMMMMMMM and a sign of love!
Looks like fun- picking our berries up here has reminded me of doing it as a child in Mendocino County. Your kids will remember the fun day for a long time. And they will have forgotten the thorns.As for hot- it was drizzling on me the other day when I picked our first ones! That was a weird experience for this Californian.
Post a Comment