Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cappuccino Quest

It isn’t often that I get away with my beautiful bride, alone – without any kids, but today was one of those rare occasions. We enjoyed a quiet dinner together, and we talked about the paradoxes of life: being middle-aged, but still feeling like we’re kids; being thankful for time alone, but wishing the kids were with us; reminiscing about great places we’ve been, but spending the balance of our time visiting Kinko’s, Target, and Costco. Alas, our time was growing short, and Amy suggested we find a Starbucks drive-thru on the way home. I winced inside and gripped the steering wheel tightly, unconsciously bracing myself for what was to come. Knowing full-well the perilous circumstances life had just bestowed upon me, I smiled and said, “Okay.” Curiously, I seemed to always find myself in the wrong lane or going in the wrong direction when a Starbucks was sighted (no small navigational feat considering the ubiquity of these coffee establishments). Finally, I made it out of the city limits – there wasn’t another Starbucks for more than sixty miles, “Sorry, honey, I think we passed them all.” Amy wasn’t the least bit concerned (although her suspicions may have been piqued) and she cheerfully reminded me that there is a Bean’s coffee house on the way – with a drive-thru, no less. Thwarted by America’s addiction to caffeine, and seriously underestimating the quiet resolve of the strategist sitting beside me, I mentally conceded victory. “Oh, that’s right. I forgot about Bean’s. I’ve heard some people say their coffee is better than Starbucks.” Reverse psychology never works with Amy: I only uttered these words as an act of desperation. We pulled into the parking lot, and as I began to align the car with the drive-thru lane, Amy says, “I have to go in. I’ve never been here before, and I have to see how they make the coffee.” My blood ran cold. She was going for a full frontal assault – my mind raced as I considered the kids’ eyewitness accounts of Amy ordering coffee: a service industry inquisition unparalleled in modern times. “I think they’re closed. I don’t see anyone in there” (okay, I admit it was a feeble attempt, but I had to try something). “No they’re not. I see a girl in there,” and with that statement, Amy sealed my fate: I was going in, no turning back. Some history is important to interject at this point: Ever since returning from Italy in 2007, Amy has been on a relentless quest to find the perfect dry Italian cappuccino in the New World. Many naive baristas have suffered for a lack of proper cappuccino technique, and this poor Bean’s barista was next. The ensuing conflict hinges upon a definition of terms: ‘Dry’ means milk foam, without a trace of its liquid precursor, and two shots of espresso – nothing more, nothing less. Amy will watch the barista like hawk as the milk is poured into the foamer-thingy; ready to verbalize, “No milk!” if the barista should forget the aforementioned definition of ‘dry’. Sometimes, Amy’s line-of-sight is obscured as the drink is prepared, so when it’s handed to her she lifts the cup up-and-down repeatedly testing its weight in the air: woe to whoever hands her a weighty cappuccino. Tonight, I was in luck: the cup passed the weight test! Amy smiled as she handed the cup to me and said, “Here, feel this,” motioning for me to perform the weight-test myself. I took hold of the cup and lifted it in agreement with Amy’s appraisal; but thinking to myself, “Great. I just paid four bucks for weightless milk-foam!” As we were driving away Amy said, “It’s not as good as Starbucks. I guess it’s hard to find a good Italian cappuccino when you’re not in Italy.” She drank it nonetheless. Well, at least Bean’s identifies the volume of their cups by proper nomenclature: small, medium, and large; as opposed to Starbucks where one must engage in the counter-intuitive process of selecting between a tall, grande, or viente sized cup, but I didn’t say anything… better to keep these thoughts to myself.

5 comments:

Fletch said...

I'm kind of a cappuccino snob too...but I really dislike the cheap Seattle swill that you find on every corner...
Perfection for me is equal mix of espresso and hot milk then covered with foam...

Coffee Geek Fletch

Six in our Crew said...

Thank you for so eloquently recording the "Cappuccino Quest"! I was shocked the first time I was with Amy and heard her order her "Cappuccino", Italy story and all!! I just kept thinking, "Are we related???"

Anyway, glad you had a great day! Thanks for the laugh:)!

Dana said...

That's was great. Although, I was slightly disappointed that there wasn't more of an exchange between the barista and the coffee consumer concerned. Getting a glimps into Mark's head/plight made up for it.

Basnight said...

Fletch,

According to Amy, you're describing a "Latte," which, if ordered this way in Italy, will get you a blank stare and a cup of milk. Crazy Americans.

Oh no! She's reading this comment - now she's all riled-up!!

Mark

gma said...

Well, I have stories to tell about going to Disneyland and Amy not getting the perfect cup! Not only did I hear about that one but I think everyone she has ordered post Itlay! Mark lad you endured -it make for a happy honey!