I hesitated briefly in the middle of the wide foyer and scanned the far end of the room. I selected my target and moved boldly forward with a little spring in my step – there was no one waiting in line. The neon signs were bright and intensified by the mirrored wall behind them. I could see a wry grin in my reflection as I approached. Popcorn was erupting like a golden flow of lava behind the counter; slushie machines hummed as they churned a colorful array of flavors; and the hotdog warmer slowly turned glistening wieners under a heat lamp. The young lady standing behind the register shifted her weight back-and-forth, mindlessly unaware of my advance until I was standing at the counter in front of her. I chuckled to myself in anticipation of the conversation I was about to engage in: a conversation not unlike countless ones I’ve had before, but tonight would likely be her first time (she would later lament the fact that she wasn’t working on commission).
“Can I help you?”
“Yes,” I replied, “three number 2s, please.”
“Three number 2s?”
“Yes, three, please”
She felt compelled to help me clarify my decision and said, “The number 2 comes with 2-large drinks, 1-large popcorn, and 1-kids combo.”
I looked over her left shoulder and pointed at the picture of a “Number 2” combo displayed conspicuously on the wall behind her. I smiled and replied, “Yes, three of those, please.”
She cocked her head and leaned to the right in a deliberate attempt to see if there was anyone else standing behind me; satisfied that I wasn’t hiding anyone, she looked back at me and repeated her inquiry, “Three number 2s?”
“Yes, three.” I stated calmly, still smiling.
I could almost see the mental gymnastics in her mind: Is he kidding? Is this some kind of prank? Am I being filmed? Should I call the manager? When her internal dialogue was complete, and she reached the point of acceptance, she simply shrugged and said, “Okay. Do you want butter on those popcorns?” I gave her my preferences and she turned to fill the order, scooping popcorn into three buckets. Meanwhile, having completed a pre-emptive strike in the restroom, Amy and the kids gathered around me asking about Skittles, soda, and confirming the movie’s start time. The young lady getting our popcorn turned and there it was on her face: the expression that is simultaneously shocked as well as relieved – she knew it wasn’t all a hoax and I didn’t plan on eating all that food myself. I LOVE HAVING A LARGE FAMILY!! After a clean-up day at the field where we shoot and ride our quads, we were ready to relax and watch a movie together. Me and my people (well, nine out of ten) gathered our goodies and moved-off toward our theater en masse; amid some people staring, some smiling, others pointing… and me, grinning all the way.
“Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them…” Psalm 127:3-5 NKJV
“Can I help you?”
“Yes,” I replied, “three number 2s, please.”
“Three number 2s?”
“Yes, three, please”
She felt compelled to help me clarify my decision and said, “The number 2 comes with 2-large drinks, 1-large popcorn, and 1-kids combo.”
I looked over her left shoulder and pointed at the picture of a “Number 2” combo displayed conspicuously on the wall behind her. I smiled and replied, “Yes, three of those, please.”
She cocked her head and leaned to the right in a deliberate attempt to see if there was anyone else standing behind me; satisfied that I wasn’t hiding anyone, she looked back at me and repeated her inquiry, “Three number 2s?”
“Yes, three.” I stated calmly, still smiling.
I could almost see the mental gymnastics in her mind: Is he kidding? Is this some kind of prank? Am I being filmed? Should I call the manager? When her internal dialogue was complete, and she reached the point of acceptance, she simply shrugged and said, “Okay. Do you want butter on those popcorns?” I gave her my preferences and she turned to fill the order, scooping popcorn into three buckets. Meanwhile, having completed a pre-emptive strike in the restroom, Amy and the kids gathered around me asking about Skittles, soda, and confirming the movie’s start time. The young lady getting our popcorn turned and there it was on her face: the expression that is simultaneously shocked as well as relieved – she knew it wasn’t all a hoax and I didn’t plan on eating all that food myself. I LOVE HAVING A LARGE FAMILY!! After a clean-up day at the field where we shoot and ride our quads, we were ready to relax and watch a movie together. Me and my people (well, nine out of ten) gathered our goodies and moved-off toward our theater en masse; amid some people staring, some smiling, others pointing… and me, grinning all the way.
“Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them…” Psalm 127:3-5 NKJV

5 comments:
HA That's a good one, I wish I had been there. Thanks for not leaving me out (nine out of ten...) love ya
Or is it ten out of eleven?
Sound like a good day!
I wondered about the count myself! Plus the price of popcorn, soda, the price of the show, did you have to take a loan out? I know you sold your gold coins.
I tell ya... he's missing his calling!!! He should be an author!!
What a fun guy too! ;)
Post a Comment