Thursday, February 5, 2009

I love California!!


What a beautiful weekend we had. After a hard week at work, Mark woke up Sunday to announce that he needed to see the ocean. I quickly shifted gears, calling my mom to let her know we wouldn't be coming over after church. She suggested we call Michaela; I invited my parents to come too. My dad decided to stay home with his baby, but my mom was excited to get out of town and see the lotion (Michaela used to refer to the ocean as the lotion).


I'm sure the temperature had to be in the low 70's; the sun was shining with just enough of a breeze. Perfect weather for a mama 3 weeks from delivery. My mom and I took a long walk to the bathrooms (it ended up being about a mile!) Who takes a pregnant woman to the beach and sits a mile from the bathrooms? While we were gone, Mark enjoyed watching the kiddos play in the waves, build sand castles, sand cities, and even a sand man.


After playing at our favorite swimming beach we headed up the coast a bit to see the waves crashing against the rocks at we call our rock beach.

Mark and Josiah found hermit crabs to play with,


while my mom and I found it easiest to enjoy the view from a seated position.


We all agreed that after a day of swimming and sanding clam chowder was in order, so we headed over to our favorite spot in a near by town and had dinner before starting the long drive home.

One of the highlights of Josiah's day was seeing this Honda parked outside the restaurant. He loves motorcycles! He used to call them megahawkas, but on a very sad day about 2 weeks ago he had come grocery shopping with me and I bought him a little red Ducati. When he realized it was his at the check out he was beaming and at a loss for words. When we got out to the car I asked him if he liked his megahawka and he informed me that it was a motorcycle. He has been referring to the two wheeled vehicles by their proper name ever since.


We returned home just barely awake but so appreciative of the wonderful day we had together. It is amazing what being at the edge of the continent, taking in the wonder of the waves and our magnificent Creator, can do for the weary!

5 comments:

gma said...

Oh, I am so glad pics were taken of that beautiful ocean, the waves, the kids. Thanks for inviting me! (and yes a pic for my memorial service, you are off the hook to say a speach :) Emily I did take notice that your sand man is drinking the right beverage! Love to all!

:o) Rachel said...

Three more weeks?! OH how fun!! I will be praying for you!

:o)Rachel (who sat next to you at your church's homeschool day)

Basnight said...

Rachel, how sweet of you to drop in. How funny to think you knew about this little guy before anybody else. I have such a hard time keeping a secret and you were the perfect one to tell! Hope all is well your way. Will you be at the February HS encouragement day?

Emily Campbell said...

You have to love California, we have enjoyed some great beach weather this last month! Glad you had a good time :)

Hayden said...

i am liking what the sand man is holding!

haha...

-:-hayden-:-