Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Moriah

Well, Moriah has managed to injure herself again. Yesterday she and Emily stuffed their backpacks with books and drinks and headed out behind our house. They found trees suitable for sitting in and reading. Moriah decided a little twig removal was in order and borrowed Emily's newly sharpened knife. Many of you know about the on going issue with her right wrist, it has been in and out of several cast over this past year, and she has become accustom to using her left hand for most everything. However, using a sharp knife to remove a twig is something a right handed person should not attempt with their left hand. She cut herself very deeply and the two girls came running back home. Mark was at work as he often is during emergency situations and so it was left to me to check the wound for the need of stitches. I called Mark at work while doing so and he gave me instructions on cleaning and dressing the cut.
When we arrived in triage at the ER the nurse complimented the dressing! I proudly informed him that I had done it. He said it did need stitches and we were sat in the waiting room for the next 2 hours. I read a few pages in a Louis L' Amour novel and then dozed off and on. Finally we were called and put into a room, where we waited for another 2 hours!! before I went to inquire how much longer the wait would be. The tech told me we had just one person ahead of us. Another 1/2 an hour and I went to the tech again, I apologized, saying that I didn't mean to be pushy, but when they said one more person did that mean 15 minutes or another hour. She replied that the doctor just went that way and our chart was next. Shortly after 1:00 the doctor came in. Over the course of the next hour we learned that Moriah had cut into the joint and nicked her tendon. After a shot of antibiotics and three shots in her finger to numb the area she recieved stitches to repair the tendon and then three stitches to close cut. She was very brave and strong. I am continually amazed at how she handles these injuries.
While at the ER I was wishing I had my camera to show you all the gory details, but you will be relieved that I was still without a working camera last night. Mark did buy a new one today for Maia's birthday, so here is what her finger looks like tonight.

4 comments:

copperswife said...

Ouch, Moriah!! Good grief!! Amy, are they giving you any sort of frequent flyer discount at the ER?????

Emily Campbell said...

Ouch! Wow I never had a stitch till I had Carrlee! How do you take all that stress!

Six in our Crew said...

Whoa! I skipped this blog yesterday. Hope you're feeling better Moriah!

Basnight said...

9372 Said... Ouch...